Teaching Programs in Alaska
If your goal with your career is to improve the future of Alaska, provide a greater number of opportunities to its citizens, and contribute to society as a whole, you may have considered becoming a teacher before. Alaska has many different educational needs, thanks to its remote layout that makes education difficult to obtain for many small or rural communities. When you go in to education, you may find your calling in working with young children, teaching a specific subject to older students, teaching in a college setting, or adjusting material to suit the needs of students in special education.
Recent changes in this field have made this an excellent time to think about becoming a teacher in Alaska. Advocates and legislators are pushing to improve the student experience by making sure that students have the same teacher throughout the year.
Find out how a teaching license can help you get started in the field of education by contacting Alaska teaching programs today.
How Can I Get a Teaching Degree in Alaska?
Before choosing a degree program, you have to decide which grade level you would like to teach. Teachers at lower grade levels focus more heavily on educational theory and child development, while teachers at higher grade levels focus on a specific subject they want to teach. In the field of special education, students focus on various learning disabilities and delays that their students may face, which allows them to learn how to accommodate those challenges. Regardless, you’ll need at least a Bachelor’s degree to become a licensed teacher. A Master’s degree equips you to teach more challenging subjects or take on higher-level positions within the education system.
You should become familiar with the curriculum of your program before you begin your courses. At the secondary education level, you may learn about educational theory and how it specifically relates to adolescents and your area of expertise. However, the majority of your curriculum may be comprised of courses in your subject area, such as history, mathematics, or English. Education courses you may enroll in include Secondary Content Literacy, Adolescent Development, and School & Society.
There are quite a few financial aid opportunities available to Alaska teaching students, including the Alaska Retired Educators Association Scholarship.
Outlook for Educators in Alaska
If you are willing to travel to where you are needed in Alaska, you may be able to explore many different employment opportunities after graduation. Native remote communities often have difficulty securing and retaining teachers, presenting an opportunity for those who really want to influence change in Alaska. However, there are also openings in large urban areas. At the start of the 2015-2016 school year, the Anchorage School District reported over two dozen special education vacancies.
- Elementary: $73,050 per year
- Secondary: $82,020 per year
- Post-Secondary: $71,020 per year
Statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2016
Teacher Training Programs in Alaska
- University of Alaska: At the University of Alaska Juneau location, in-state tuition is approximately $6,300 per year and out-of-state tuition is about $20,000 per year. The University of Alaska online campus offers Bachelor’s degrees and certificates in elementary education, early childhood education, mathematics education, and other fields.
- Grand Canyon University Online: With Grand Canyon Online University courses, you can study subjects like elementary and special education, English as a second language, and gifted education. The Grand Canyon University graduation rate is 30%.
- University of Alaska—Fairbanks: To earn an undergraduate teaching degree at UAF, you need at least 130 credits. One of the specialized degrees they offer is rural secondary education, which addresses the needs of rural Alaska schools.
SEARCH YOUR STATE
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia