Masters in Education Degree in New York
School enrollments in New York are projected to increase. As teachers retire or leave the profession for other reasons, and with the state looking to restore teacher positions and programs that were cut during the Great Recession, the demand for teachers in New York will continue to grow.
A Master’s in Education program improves your instructional skills and opens doors to new opportunities and higher salaries. You become a more qualified, more knowledgeable, and more valuable teacher able to engage students and achieve better results.
According to the NYC Department of Education, for 2018-2019, starting salaries for teachers will range from $56,711 (bachelor’s degree, no prior teaching experience) to $85,794 (master’s degree, eight years teaching experience, plus additional coursework). New teachers with a master’s degree but no prior teaching experience can earn around $63,751. For teachers in New York City with the same number of years of experience, a master’s degree leads to an average salary increase of around $8,800 per year.
Opportunities also exist outside the field of education. Many teachers have moved into positions as corporate trainers or education consultants, or have moved into nonprofit and professional organizations.
Does earning a master’s in teaching sound great to you? Awesome! Read on for more information about master’s of education programs in New York; career information for those who possess a master’s in education; or take the first step towards earning an advanced degree in education by clicking on any of the links to request information from the schools listed on this page!
Earning your Master’s in Education in New York
Master’s in education programs in New York offer a variety of different concentrations, so you should be able to find one that matches your interests. Traditional, online and hybrid programs are available.
|State University of New York||SUNY has 64 campuses, urban and rural, large and small with a variety of master’s programs in education.||Locations across the state|
|Teachers College, Columbia University||Multiple programs with a variety of concentrations for Teacher Education||New York City|
|New York University (Steinhardt)||Focuses on public schools and the ongoing crisis in urban education.||New York City|
If an advanced degree in education sounds great but you need help paying for it, we’ve compiled this list of resources just for you:
- The NYS Masters-in-Education Teacher Initiative Scholarship Program offers eligible students complete tuition for earning a master’s degree at a SUNY or CUNY college/university.
- The TEACH Grant is great for those who agree to their terms that include taking specific classes and then entering certain careers in order to keep the grant from becoming a loan.
- TEACH NYC includes a scholarship program for qualified individuals (you must already be certified to teach in New York to be eligible)
- There are also opportunities for graduate students to get involved with research that subsidizes part or all your education, such as NYU Steinhardt’s initiatives that delve into urban education.
Working in New York with a Master’s in Education Degree
Employment growth and wages for teachers who hold a master’s degree will vary throughout the state. A Master’s in Education leads to higher pay and opens doors to potential opportunities in higher education, business, and the nonprofit sector.
Teachers develop excellent time management and leadership skills. They know how to motivate and communicate effectively, skills that transfer into other fields.
A few such options include:
- Design instructional materials for textbook companies such as Pearson Learning
- Work at an education nonprofit such as Breakthrough New York
- Find a career at one of the many education technology (ed tech) companies located in New York City
- If education research sounds up your alley, consider analyst positions at organizations such as Manpower Demonstration Research Corporation (MDRC)
If you’re ready to take the first step towards earning your advanced degree in education, simply click the link to request information from any of the schools on this page!
SEARCH YOUR STATE
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia